hear ye, hear ye, all… ye… vegans and/or compatriots in egg/gluten intolerance! below you will find my life-changing recipe for egg-less macaroons. no really, they’re awesome! technically this is adapted from a recipe featured in the pre-thanksgiving minimalist column by mark bittman (hubba hubba). gotta give credit where credit’s due.
(alright, so i overcooked them a little… shit happens.)
3 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut flakes; 1 cup sugar (preferably the fine-grained baking-specific kind); 1/4 teaspoon xantham gum; 1/2 teaspoon cardamom; 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; 4 “eggs” made via egg replacer (my favorite is ener-g).
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- combine dry ingredients in a medium-to-large mixing bowl.
- in a separate bowl, beat the “eggs” as best you can given the fact that they’re never going to be as boogery or fluffy as real eggs and add vanilla.
- gradually dump the wet into the dry and mix thoroughly.
- plop a tablespoon worth of the uncooked mess onto a (seriously) non-stick cookie sheet. pack the blob together for best post-baking cohesion.
- bake until the edges begin to turn a light golden brown, usually about 15 minutes. i’m sure this time differs if you’re in denver.
- let cool then chow down.
- @KimKardashian: My goal in life is to go on the Oprah Winfrey Show, we need 2 plan & plot! How can the Kardashian sister get on Oprah????
- @KhloeKardashian: go to africa for a few weeks and get lost adopting a baby. Kourt and I will come and find you! Africa + adopting= Oprah
- @KimKardashian: I have no problem getting lost in Africa, but really adopt? Can't I just steal Kourt's baby? Someone should kidnap us!
- @KhloeKardashian: OMG! Forget Africa! I have the perfect plan. Let's go to Cuba, find Tupac! You have a baby by him!!! Tupac + Babies=Oprah
- @KimKardashian: We only have 635 days left until Oprah is off the air, no time to get kidnapped! Can't U & Lamar just adopt me?
- @KhloeKardashian: we can be a rap group... Tupac the lead and us three like the supremes... Wooohooooooo
this is a question that never occurred to me, but is pretty engrossing now that i’ve given it some thought. apparently for jim mohr, director of gonzaga’s institute for action against hate, thinks so too.
[Despite] all the devastating examples of hate in the world, no one really understands why one person hates another. The institute hopes to change that through the interdisciplinary study of hate, incorporating insights from history, psychology, religious studies, anthropology, and political science.
the underlying message? “We can change. There has to be hope.”
i most hope, on this monday, that i am able to continue pulling rabbits out of hats.
sometimes what i read is better than what’s really written on the page. for instance, this excerpt from a friend’s travel journal:
“Look, India has a talent for making time disappear. Days somehow melt into weeks, and things taste like dates. Schedules and itineraries evaporate in the heat.”
boys & girls, can you figure out what my mind inserted in the above paragraph?