- a conversation between two heterosexual 'gents, presented in two acts. context includes an evening of drinking whiskey bootlegs and the seemingly impossible bike ride to return manly man no. one to manly man no. two's home.
- --Act One: July 20, 1:07am--
- Manly Man #1: [Manly Man #1] here. Go to bed holmes! I'll be back in the morning. Got too much of my drank on.
- Manly Man #2: You staying there?
- MM#1: Seems like the easiest, so I don't have to wake you to get in.
- MM#2: Do what you want. Its not worries. If you come you come if not you dont. Northern exposure woke me.
- MM#1: Hah! Just sleep easy. I can't navigate the whole way at this point, it will be much easier in the morning. Goodnight my sweet.
- MM#2: K hun. Be vigilant.
- MM#1: I'm on the lookout. Clenched. Yours now and always.
- MM#2: Make sure you don't miss your plane but if you do dont worry. We would be happy.
- MM#1: I'm going to be home bright and early. See you then?!
- MM#2: Indeed. Til then hommes.
- MM#1: Night beauty.
- MM#2: Night peanut.
- --Act Two: July 20, 10:17am--
- MM#1: Alive, but barely. What are you up to?
- MM#2: This woke me. Room is rotating.
- MM#1: Just vomited. Maybe ready for brunch?
- MM#2: Steal canoe and paddle here. See you next Tuesday. Will cook pidgeon and caber tosser.
n. a twinge of sadness that there’s no frontier left, that as the last explorer trudged with his armies toward a blank spot on the map, he didn’t suddenly remember his daughter’s upcoming piano recital and turn for home, leaving a new continent unexplored so we could set its mists and mountains aside as a strategic reserve of mystery, if only to answer more of our children’s questions with “Nobody knows! Out there, anything is possible.”
i just found an undated, yellow post-it note in my handwriting that reads,
“1. well, i’m not saying paris is bad, just that it’s the same. i’m still doing things i don’t want to do to pay for things i’m not sure i want.”
there’s no second bullet point and no explanation. the fact that it’s scrawled in extra fine point sharpie and on an actual post-it makes me think it’s a hold-over from my last office job, but who knows. somehow it feels really apt given my recent situation (high contrast between awesomeness and total shit), and validating that…
well nevermind. in the end, maybe just finding a little note from past sarah was nice. and that past sarah’s chicken scratch sounds like something present sarah would still say, but no longer applies. things are better than they were, whenever that was.
that’s what i’m getting at, i think.
I’m sure you think you’re clever, swimming backwards, eyes closed, hand grazing my boob. First time, oops. Next time, not so cute. And tell your friend who grabbed my ass, that I’m old enough to be his mom. Seriously boys, I’m 5’9” to your 5’2”; there’s an age and height requirement for this ride and you don’t qualify.
we’ve always been who we are.